Pepper is a seasoning that adds a spicy, aromatic touch and a great flavor to any dish. Like salt, it is a key ingredient in Mexican cuisine, without forgetting that it can offer multiple health benefits. According to various studies, pepper contains significant levels of vitamins A, C, and K, as well as minerals — potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and calcium, for example.
Learn about its benefits below.
1. Improves digestion. Black pepper contains piperine, a compound that naturally stimulates the release of digestive enzymes from the pancreas.
2. Promotes weight loss. Thanks to piperine, pepper could increase the rate of metabolism and promote the burning of calories. Recent research found that this benefit would be equivalent to walking 20 minutes.
3. Powerful against the flu. One of home remedies to calm these diseases is the use of pepper. This spice helps relieve symptoms thanks to one of its components, capsaicin, a substance that stimulates secretions that help loosen mucus and clear breathing.
4. Antioxidant capacity. Thanks to its contribution of vitamin C and beta-carotene, black pepper is highly antioxidant, which is why it could prevent cell damage caused by free radicals, harmful substances responsible for the aging of cells.
5. Improves nutrient absorption. The piperine in pepper may also increase the bioavailability of several nutrients, such as vitamins A and C, selenium, or beta-carotene. That is, the ability to be absorbed and used by different parts of the body.
eye! Although all these benefits are very flattering, it is important to consume pepper in moderation. Consider that its excessive intake could cause unwanted reactions and irritations in the body, as well as other problems: snoring, gastrointestinal problems and even the appearance of irritable bowel.
If in doubt, consult a nutritionist.